The Yip Yips (also known as the Martians or aliens) are characters on the TV show Sesame Street. They are interplanetary visitors from the planet Mars. They marvel at devices such as clocks, telephones and computers. When frightened, each covers its face with the lower part of its jaw.
Dane, Maddy, Brock
Yip Yips and Marvin the Martian
Yip Yips find their classmate Will at U-Village.
- The costumes where made from:
- 3-4 yards of a soft fleece fabric
- Black mesh for the mouth part of the costume was cut in a 18x22 inch oval and sewed in place (kids can see out but no-one can see in; found at Jo-Ann Fabrics Store called Sew Classic Knits - Black Jet Set)
- 6-inch styrofoam balls with felt pupils hot-glued to the top of costume
- Pom-poms glued to ends of 4 chenelle stems or pipe cleaners twisted together and hot-glued to the back of the eyeballs
- Winter beanie was sewed into the top inside of the costume to keep the fabric from sliding
- Contour shaped sponge (7.5x3.5x2.5 in.) found in the paint aisle of Home Depot was hot-glued to the inside bottom edge of the mouth to give it a jaw shape (Hands placed at the bottom of the sponge to open and close the mouth as needed)
- Bottom of the costume was cut in 2.5 inch strips for the tentacles.